Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's Only Stuff

We experienced another hit-and-run this morning at around eight o'clock.  As this is now the THIRD one in less than a year, I'm beginning to think I'm supposed to be learning a lesson here.  I can't be sure, but I'm thinking that the sooner I can NOT let the fact that another person just rammed into our car without even pausing ruin my whole day, the less likely it is to happen again.  I think I'm supposed to be learning to take these time- and money-consuming mishaps in stride (they happen, no one was physically hurt--move on).  I'm hoping that once I have fully learned how to do this, it just won't happen anymore.  Because the truth is, it sucks whether I cry about it or not.  We had other better plans for our day, so let's get to them.  So after much less crying and glum-feelings than usual, we moved ahead with said plans.  And I am so glad we did.  But first, no tears, just the facts:

John was hit as he slowly (I was standing in the doorway) pulled away from the curb by a large white speeding pick-up who didn't slow down at all--not before he got to John's car and certainly not after.  While a couple of neighbors told us they'd seen what happened, no one was able to get a license plate.

And now to the rest of our day:

A bike ride.  John rides his bike all the time, true, but I have not ridden since our bike trek in Guatemala--well before Oscar was born.  It just didn't seem smart while pregnant and then the opportunity hasn't presented itself much with a non-riding baby almost always in tow.  We've been researching toddler seats for bikes, anticipating the day when Oscar would be old enough.  Yesterday, on our way home from the farmer's market we stopped by Firehouse Bikes on a whim.  Didn't you know they had the very seat we were considering?  We scooped it up, along with a helmet, and started getting ready for our first "family ride".

Oscar "helped" John get my lonely bike ready.

After mounting the seat and doing our best to adjust O.K.'s helmet, John and Oscar headed out for a test drive on our street.


We loaded up our bikes and drove out to beautiful Forbidden Drive near Chestnut Hill.



When the bike wasn't moving Oscar wanted that helmet off,


but he LOVED riding with John.


 All in all, a pretty good day.

2 comments:

  1. So very sorry for the "mishap" but you're right to move past it. But still...BUMMER! The biking looks delightful and we love knowing the whole story. Thanks, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Rachel, I absolutely admire your skill at telling a story through photographs! But I hate the way this one started. It is just stuff, but it's also big quantities of time and aggravation to resolve a problem and its numerous consequences. It's such a drag that it keeps happening! Do your neighbors have similar issues with hit-and-run accidents? argh.

    I love it that you were able to move forward with your escape plans for the day anyway, and the shots of John & Oscar are great!

    ReplyDelete