Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mom Salon

Before we had Oscar, I thought I'd be pretty cool about having a gender-nuetral-looking kid -- you know, able to wear pink (who cares?) and have long hair.  I still feel that way, but it has started to get a little annoying when people tell us what a "pretty little girl" we have.  Intended or not, Oscar's clothes are pretty boyish, so we've concluded the bouncy curls must be the culprit.  When it happens we have to decide to either nod and smile as we move along, or correct their perception.  The former makes me feel sheepish, the latter makes the mistaken acquaintance feel the need to apologize.  Also, most of the curls are growing on the back and sides of his head, at times giving him a kind of Bozo the Clown look.  So yesterday, with mixed feelings (and somewhat impulsively, I'll admit), I turned on "Electric Company" (he can't look away when it's on), pulled out a pair of scissors, and started cutting.

Oscar a few weeks back with long locks that have only gotten longer...


The cut hair -- now saved in his baby book.


His new "big kid" do -- I admit, once mostly gone, I missed the curls.


Another view, and today I'm getting used to it.  We went to the park this morning and no one mistook him for a girl.  Not that I'm not okay with that...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's a beautiful little head with or without curls or gender-specific haircut! :)

    ReplyDelete